Friday, May 24, 2013

Mexico Mission Miracles - Part 3


The city we've been taking adult mission teams to is a border city called Nogales. It is a very poor city where manufacturing plants employ a large percentage of the population at the unbelievable rate of about $5 a day. Nogales is situated south of Tucson, and is a popular spot for drug cartels and human trafficking. As our team prepared to go in 2010, the drug wars in and around Nogales were capturing international headlines and we had our doubts about the wisdom of going. Our host missionaries figured we'd be fine, but they did formulate a "plan B" in another city, should the fighting escalate to the point of being a danger to us. 


One month before our departure a decision had to be made. Nogales or "Plan B". The group naturally decided to pray and ask God to direct us. We wanted to have faith in His protection, but not be so foolish as take unnecessary risks. The team bowed their heads in prayer and poured their hearts out to God, telling Him their fears and asking for His wisdom. Afterwards, one of the team members shared, that while praying, she had had a very strong sense of God saying to her "Don't worry. I've got this." Everyone around the room agreed that despite the news reports, they all felt at peace about going to Nogales. I had to love this lady's attitude and confidence. She said, "Well, if I get shot by a drug gang's bullet, I guess was just be my time to go. And just think what a great story my grandchildren could tell about their Grandma!"

"He's Got This!" We took this message from God, and we used it as our motto for the trip. One of the teens in the group came up with a logo idea of two hands making a heart and from this we designed our t-shirts. One month later, we were on our way to Nogales.


As we were going through security at the Calgary airport, two teammates had their documents checked by a customs officer who had worked at the Nogales port of entry for 4 years. She was appalled that our group was going there and said we were very brave. This was not exactly what we wanted to hear as we were starting out on our adventure.
When the shuttle driver transported part of our group from the Tucson Hotel to the border, he asked if he was waiting to bring us back to Tucson that night. "No thanks," I told him, "We're staying here for a week." "In Nogales?!!" he exclaimed. I'm sure he thought we had all lost our marbles.
As we walked across the border, it was immediately evident that the drug wars were having a serious effect on the city. The normally busy and bustling markets were empty of tourists and there was a very visible presence of police and military personnel, many toting machine guns. We saw actual bullet holes in the sides of vehicles - not those vinyl stick-ons you see around here.
I will admit, I was starting to have second thoughts. I felt the heavy responsibility of bringing all 16 of my teammates back home safe and sound. I was starting to look at the waves. But God sent us the most amazing sign that He was in control and that He would take care of us. As we went up the hill into our hostel enclosure, we saw that they had painted some murals on the perimeter walls since the last time we were there. 

The picture that met our eyes as we crested the top of the steep driveway took our fear away and in it's place, instilled a quiet peace and confidence that we'd be okay. There before us was the same image we had chosen for our t-shirts. We could sense God saying, "See, I told you. I've got this!" 

He knew we'd need that assurance 
  • when we saw helicopters flying overhead at the work site much of the first day, 
  • when we realized the little convenience store no longer existed across the street from the church because the owner had been murdered by drug gangs, 
  • when we were told that the men watching us work from their balcony were known drug dealers, 
  • and when shots rang out in the night and the guard dogs went beserk!


 (I can't decide if I'm happy or sad that I SLEPT through all that excitement). 
Despite all these things, we never ONCE felt UNSAFE or lost our trust in God to protect us. 

No comments: